Thursday 20 December 2012

Expansion Day 3 - Post-Op Appt

Today marked 8 days since my SARPE surgery. I got to see the surgeon for my 1 week post op appointment. He was happy to see that my two front teeth were not discolored and that I do not have an infection. He said sometimes after these surgeries the teeth can become discolored from blood entering through the roots and settling inside the tooth. Luckily this did not happen to me! He said that I can expect to be swollen for 2 - 3 weeks. Some people are good to go after one but my case will definitely be 2 - 3 weeks of swelling and discomfort. I now have a new set of pain meds to help me get through the next couple weeks. I have no moved onto T3's every 4 hours as needed and 600mg of Motrin every 6 hours. He noticed that I am still not able to smile and he felt bad for me but said I just have to hang on another 1 - 2 weeks and then I will be able to smile without pain. If I attempt to smile now it can literally rip my wound open and the pain of even attempting to smile instantly puts tears in my eyes. This has been really hard the last couple days because it is so against my nature not to smile. My sister-in-law sent me a funny Christmas video via text last night and had to throw the phone away because I attempted to smile. Needless to say my blog from yesterday exclaiming I had a fairly painless day was very premature. I spent the last 3 hours of my night in tears and pain. I am extremely worried about Christmas gatherings coming up in just a few days because of this. How cruel not being able to smile at such a happy time of year for a bubbly me.

I also found out today that I am aloud to use the waterpik as long as I do not use it by my front teeth. My surgeon had a patient who used it by the two front teeth that were expanding and it caused a major infection that caused her to lose her teeth. I have decided just to wait to use it until I am healed a little more. I am also supposed to keep an eye on the gums between my two front teeth. If I start to notice that there is a divot starting I have to back up the expansion by one and wait a day to keep going. He also expressed that if I have any questions or concerns at all even during the holidays I am supposed to call him regardless. I really do have a great feeling about him and I am happy that he is very knowledgeable with what he does.

My next appointment with him is in three weeks to make sure everything is expanding properly and symmetrically. I'm sure by then I will have a nice redneck gap going on. I think that's all for today. Exhausted and ready for bed now.

Day 3 - 4 turns total (Swelling mostly around top lip and cheeks)

Day 3 Expansion Gap (4 turns total) That is a stitch hanging down on my tooth



No comments:

Post a Comment