Wednesday 19 December 2012

Expansion Day 2 - 3 turns total

It has officially been one week since my SARPE surgery. I made it one whole week already! I am finding that taking one day at a time is the truly the only way to get through this process. I was joking last week that I feel like I have a baby again and that baby is me because if I ever try to leave my house I have to my own "baby" bag full of teeth cleaning items, boost bottles for food and pain meds. Now I truly feel like I am the baby because I find that I can only make it about 4 hours max being awake without feeling completely exhausted and have to go sleep it off. I will have to ask the surgeon tomorrow at my appointment how long I can expect this kind of thing to last. I'm sure it's different for everyone but I can't imagine work would enjoy that too much. I can't imagine saying to my boss, "Oh sorry hold that thought while I go take a 3 hour nap." If I said that she just might have to take away the promotion I got right before my surgery. That would not be a good start to the new year. haha *Brenda if you are reading this, I promise I won't always be like this lol *

I have also already noticed the gap is starting to appear after the 2 turns we had to do today. You can see the picture below showing that my two front teeth are now starting to separate from each other a little more. After today's 2 turns and 1 yesterday that's 3 turns so far in 2 days. I did one turn this morning with pain meds and the 2nd turn tonight without just to see if it is actually painful. I would not describe the expansion turn as painful but more less a very eerie feeling as I can actually feel the middle of my pallet expanding. I can feel the front teeth have a lot of pressure with the separation and it burns/throbs for a little while after but not painful per say. My jaw joints have been just "OK" through this last week. I find that my right joint is causing quite a bit of discomfort. There is quite a bit of swelling in my upper cheeks, top lip and around the jaw joint area. My chin and bottom lip have almost no swelling left. The bruising is slowly fading away each day as well. I am still not capable of smiling as it is impossible with the sutures, swelling and pain. It's sad that I can't watch any funny TV shows because if it makes me smile or laugh I I'm in dyer pain. It's kind of comical just listening to myself try to laugh without making any facial expressions. Try it! I bet you'll laugh at yourself too.

I think that's all for today. I have my post op appointment tomorrow and will be able to let you know what he thinks of the progress this last week.

Day 7 Post Op - Day 2 of expansion with 3 turns total


1 comment:

  1. Haha I enjoyed this post! Made me smile! Your doing so great! :)

    ReplyDelete