Tuesday 18 December 2012

Expansion - Day 1 (Post-op Day 6)

Today has been a better day by far. I still have quite a bit of swelling but not as much pain as the last 6 days. I was so worried last night that I was getting an infection because the incision was throbbing and burning so bad. I was able to control the worst of it with ice and morphine and tried to sleep it off as best I could. I don't feel that burning sensation this morning thank goodness, just a lot of tenderness.

Also a big step in the progress is expansion which started this morning. I got up 45 minutes before my husband had to leave for work so that I could clean my mouth and take my medication in order for him to turn my key. When the time finally came for him to turn it, it was no big deal at all. He was able to do it within a couple minutes and it didn't hurt one bit. I hope that's how the rest of the expansion goes! It could have also helped that I medicated before hand. We'll see how tomorrow goes as I have to turn it twice tomorrow. I am looking forward to getting a wider upper jaw and just hope that the pain is manageable throughout.

The second biggest victory of the day is that I was able to eat pudding! After trying smoothie and some other blended stuff I was not able to get it down as it was way too thick and hard to get down around my expander and sore mouth. So I figured out how to get the pudding under my tongue and down my throat with the least amount at the top. This is huge for me as I have been on liquid for what seems forever. One day at a time though, hopefully in a few more days I can progress to some scrambled eggs. I just need all this swelling to go away and my stitches to dissolve and then I'm sure it will get easier.

Swelling less today and more yellowing from bruising (Top lip still very swollen)

No comments:

Post a Comment