Tuesday 5 February 2013

Update before braces go on - 34 turns

It has been a couple weeks since my last update and not a whole lot has changed. I have expanded the last two Sundays which actually ends up being a total of 34 turns. Each turn is a 1/4 mm so in total I have expanded 8.5 mm's. That's quite a bit! Now that the orthodontist has be expanding only once a week I have been able to put up with the little bit of discomfort rather then the pain I was experience just a few weeks ago. My front teeth are always a little sore from them naturally trying to move back together. The teeth are kind of straying off into their own way now so it's probably good that I am scheduled to get braces this coming Monday, Feb.11 at 2pm. I am getting a little worried about the whole new kind of pain I will be facing once the braces get put on but I've been through them before and survived so I know I can do it again. Positive thoughts!

Here are some updated pictures:

Expansion 1
Expansion 34

This is how my smile is after 34 turns. The teeth are trying to come back together on their own.
Current smile before braces go on next week.


2 comments:

  1. Hello, nice blog you have going. My situation is backwards compared to yours. I got my braces and an expander put on my top and bottom jaws at the end of October. Then, I just had my SARPE along with sinus and nose surgery on January 30th. Now, I'm turning my expander twice every 12 hours for 10 days.

    It's crazy - not sure of the surgeon's or orthodontist's plans with people, but I completely understand "wanting to feel normal again". My swelling has gone down considerably and my bruising has almost completely gone away, but the weird sensations and numbness throughout my left cheek, nose, chin and lips needs to go away.

    My advice for you: try not to worry about the braces too much. They actually seem to have been the easier part to me now. So, if you survived the jaw surgery first - you're a tough cookie. The braces might snag on the lips, but just plaster them in wax and you should be just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the post! It is really nice to hear from someone who is going through somewhat of the same situation. I'm not sure which way is the better way to do it, surgery then braces or braces then surgery. I think either way is just as painful. Hope you feel better soon!

      How long does your orthodontist/surgeon figure your progress will be from here on out?

      Delete