Tuesday 30 April 2013

Gap is closing up... yay!

The last 6 weeks have flown by since I got the bottom braces on and I have had another adjustment yesterday. My orthodontist was very happy with the movement so far and I have to say it is nice to see the gap finally closing up. This time around he decided to zig zag tie my four front teeth together rather then just the two. They used the same clear rubber string as last month which was actually stained a nice bright yellow. I swear it is almost impossible to stay away from food and drinks that stain so bad!

 The pain is hard to describe because it's like a pressure/itchy/achy feeling all at once. It's kind of like how your teeth feel when a new tooth is growing in with lots of extra pressure. Ever since the adjustment, my jaw joints have been really sore and at times the pain killers have no effect. But compared to what I went through in December, I really don't feel right complaining too much about this minor temporary pain. 

I have found that heat has been the most helpful for the pain. Things like soup, tea, hot chocolate, coffee and warming up the magic bag have been the most helpful. Anything cold shocks the nerves and makes it worse so I stay far away from anything of that sort for at least the first few days after adjustment. 

I am also very happy to say that I can now start the count down to the expander removal!!! My ortho decided that July 9th will be the magic day so I have officially started the count down of 70 days from today!

I would also like to thank everyone for your comments and encouragement, this is exactly why I love having the blog! I get to hear from people who have been through this and also people who just want to say great job. Makes me smile!

Anyways, enough talk for now. Check out my updated pics:

April.29 - Four front teeth tied together. Apparently the teeth won't look like they are off to one side by the time I am done.

A little blurry but at least can see the shape of the teeth now

Profile pic from April 29

3 comments:

  1. Great blog Amy!! Please update us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have really been a trooper keep up the good work. I had surgery on July 19, 2013 and I go to the orthodontist everyday for her to expand more. It is painful but I would like to know when were you able to eat solid food? I just got my braces back on Friday, August 16, 2013 but I'm sick of mashed potatoes and soft food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Sooo sorry for the super late response, I kept forgetting to come back and respond to you Sunshine. You have probably finished your expansion long ago by now. I feel your pain with the eating mashed and soft foods forever. I think the first 6 months were the worst especially when the teeth were being moved back together, it was impossible to chew very well. Even to this day and it has been a year, I really am not able to eat hard foods like steak. Burgers are a bit of a challenge but like most things I have learned to just rip everything into small pieces rather then bite into everything. I sure cannot wait to get this process over with and I am sure you feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete